zondag 30 augustus 2009

Battle of Reichenberg

Marching in two columns, Bevern’s advance units made contact with Austrian advance positions at 13.00 hrs. Gablenz, the lead brigade of the right column, deployed the Frei battalions of Angelelli and Mayr to secure his right. These would keep the Grenzers occupied, while Diericke’s Fusilier regiment deployed in the open ground between the woods on the right and the mountain slopes on his left. This took about 30 minutes, but a further hour would be needed before Wolfenbüttel moved into a support position. Malachowsky arrived at 14.00 hrs and advised prudence and would form is cavalry in column of troops to allow Wolfenbüttel the needed space to deploy. In the meantime, the Frei battalions enjoyed themselves.

1st slideshow

On the left (13.30 hrs), Bevern noted enemy Hussars deployed in line at the other end of the valley. Bevern had sufficient room to deploy 3 squadrons of Schonaich’s cuirassiers, but added Norman’s Brigade of Dragoons to deploy in support. These would await the arrival of Braunschweig's brigade before advancing.

Unfortunately by 14.00 hrs, Schonaich stung by snipping Grenzers moved his cuirassiers forward, the Austrian hussars followed by moved forward as well. Noting a second line of hussars behind the first and echeloned to their right, Schonaich decided a decisive advance could carry both, so bugles sounded the charge. What followed was classic cavalry work; the leading half battalion of Hussars moved forward at a trot, while the smaller half battalion accelerated their move to envelop the flank of the heavies. After a brisk engagement, the lead battalion of Hussars were bested and broke off, but the flanking battalion had done their job. The Cuirassiers retreated behind the supporting Dragoons and the Hussars, after a short pursuit, returned to the light woods at the end of the valley.

2nd slideshow

It was at this moment (15.00 hrs), Braunschweig and his brigade arrived on the field. Between the mountain slopes and the Grenzer held wood, the regiment Prinz von Preussen deployed with Forcade in reserve. By 15.30, with drums beating, the Prussian infantry moved forward, forcing the Grenzers to slowly retire through the light woods.

Returning to the right flank at 15.30 hrs, Wolfenbüttel deployed his brigade behind Gablenz and so began the general advance. Bevern joining Gablenz and Wulfenbüttel, issued new orders to join the two lines and advance toward the junction to the left of the Hohenwald. While both flanks were being cleared of Grenzers (16.30 hrs), both lines would join together forming an unbroken line.

The battle, if it could be called a battle was no more than a heavy skirmish. Pleased this afternoon that both columns were relatively unscathed, the Prussian line was moving forward toward Hohenwald and a setting sun when the entire front of the woods erupted in a sheet of flame and a hail of lead.

3rd slideshow

2 opmerkingen:

Keith Flint zei

What an excellent battle report, with some interesting and original methods used to set up the terrain and create surprises for both sides.

I'm sure I will return to this report for ideas regarding my own battles.

Thanks for posting.

Keith Flint.

18th Century Sojourn zei

Keith, thank you for your comments.

I am not sure how long the Random Map Generator has been around, but our Strategic/Tactical map system has been evolving over the past two years. The system serves well for large scale battles to small skirmish actions. No need to write locations and such, the command elements are the only items that need to maneuver. Once contact is made, they move to the table with their command. Then comes the surprise.